During my recent trip to Kuching, Sarawak, I had the pleasure of staying at the Hilton Kuching Hotel for 3 days and 2 nights. I booked the Executive Room, which provided stunning views of the Sarawak River and access to the Executive Lounge, complete with complimentary breakfast and refreshments. If you’re interested in exploring the various room options available, you can visit the hotel’s website: Hilton Kuching. The room rate was RM495.00 per night, but you can also compare prices on Agoda.com for potentially cheaper rates: Agoda, Hilton Kuching. While there were a few aspects that left me less satisfied, overall, my stay at the hotel was pleasant. Here are my reviews to give you a more detailed insight.
What I like :
I was truly amazed by the breathtaking views of the Sarawak River when I entered my room at the Hilton Kuching Hotel. The room itself was not only beautifully designed but also exceptionally clean, well-organized, and spacious. Being a seasoned traveler, I greatly appreciated the inclusion of essential amenities such as towels, a hairdryer, an iron, and an ironing board. The adjustable thermostat was a welcome feature, allowing me to set the room temperature to my preference. The soft bedsheets and cozy duvet provided a truly comfortable sleep experience. And let’s not forget the two extra pillows thoughtfully placed on the bed—perfect for someone like me who always appreciates an additional pillow!
What I don’t :
Unfortunately, as a light sleeper, I found it challenging to get a good night’s rest due to the noise level in the room. On the first night, I was woken up several times by the sound of the restroom door opening and closing, followed by the sound of something hitting against something. Although I suspected the noises might be coming from the air conditioning, it was frustrating and affected the quality of my sleep. While the second night was better, I still had difficulty sleeping due to the disturbance on the first night. In terms of cleanliness, I noticed that the toilet bowl cover was a bit dirty as if it hadn’t been cleaned properly by the housekeeper. I was also disappointed to find that the toilet bowl’s tank was leaking.
- The breakfast service begins at 6.00 AM, which is quite convenient for early birds. It offers a diverse range of options, encompassing Malay, Indian, Chinese, and Western cuisines.
- There’s a juice bar where you can enjoy freshly squeezed pineapple, orange, watermelon, and cucumber juice.
- At the buffet table, you’ll find ‘teh tarik’, coffee, and tea. If you have a preference for other hot drinks like cappuccino or latte, the staff will gladly prepare them upon request.
- In my opinion, most of the food is delicious, especially the Laksa Sarawak and Mee Kolok. While I didn’t particularly enjoy the Tosei from the Indian kitchen, the spring rolls were delightful. The Chinese kitchen had some noteworthy dishes, with the sweet and sour fish standing out. Although I didn’t have the chance to try dim sum, it was available as well. The Malay kitchen offered average options, without anything particularly outstanding or disappointing. As for the Western choices, there’s an array of delights, including baked beans, bread, salads, pancakes, French toast, waffles, and omelets.
- Don’t forget to save some room for dessert. There are options for fresh-cut fruits and pudding in the fridge that are definitely worth trying.
- The executive lounge is a fantastic perk of staying in an executive room. It provides a cozy and peaceful environment where you can unwind, relax, and even catch up on work. Apart from offering delightful hi-tea, the lounge provides complimentary refreshments throughout the day, including coffee, tea, and soft drinks. The staff is incredibly friendly and attentive, ensuring that guests have everything they need.
- The cakes were a highlight for me, particularly the rich and creamy cheesecakes and the moist and delicious red velvet cake. The banana cake was also a treat, with a subtle banana flavor that wasn’t overpowering. I have to confess, I couldn’t resist going for a second slice of the cheesecake!
- Without a doubt, the executive lounge is the perfect place to relax, treat yourself to some delectable sweets, and revel in the stunning views of the Sarawak River.
The Hotel And The Staff.
As a 4-star hotel, my expectations were set high, and I must say that the Hilton Kuching Hotel lived up to them. The hotel’s strategic location near the Kuching Waterfront and shopping malls made it incredibly convenient. I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshing scent in the hallways leading to the rooms. The hotel staff was friendly and always ready to assist, which added to the overall enjoyment of my stay. I would gladly choose to stay here again and recommend it to others.
Areas for Improvement:
While my stay was enjoyable, there are a few areas that could be improved:
- Maintenance could be better, as certain parts of the hotel appeared worn out.
- I feel that housekeeping could be more meticulous, particularly when it comes to the cleanliness of the toilet bowl cover and addressing the issue of the leaking toilet tank.
- Although the complimentary breakfast offered a wide range of options, some dishes fell short of expectations.
With these improvements, the Hilton Kuching Hotel has the potential to provide an even better experience for its guests.